What is Creaway?
Cre-Away Pro is a four-component powder that safely and effectively modifies glazed or third-degree creosote so that it can be more effectively removed by chimney sweeping.
First a reactive agent neutralizes the slightly acidic creosote, making it less corrosive to metal components and less flammable.
Second, a dehydrator absorbs the oils and moisture contained in some forms of creosote.
Third, a combustion inhibitor helps reduce the chance of chimney fires. Finally, a magnesium catalyst helps break down third-degree creosote when the flue is heated by normal use.
- Effective On All Types Of Creosote
- Helps Prevent Chimney Fires by aiding in the removal of creosote
- Reduces Creosote Odors
- Chimneys Clean Easier and More Completely
- Contains 50% More Magnesium Catalyst than the domestic version
Note: this product is potentially hazardous and is only to be used by trained professionals!
Why do we use it?
It is a fact that burning wood with a high moisture content and long periods of slumbering produce high levels of un-burnt hydrocarbons that deposit within the chimney as tar or creosote.
This product is quite likely to cause a chimney fire if it is not removed however it is impossible to remove glazed creosote in most cases with abrasion based cleaning methods without also damaging the chimney.
The solution is to use a chemical cleaner or modifier to either liquefy or change the creosote tar into a product that can be cleaned.
It is my experience that the liquid method of tar removal is extremely messy using sprayed on sodium hydroxide solution which in turn runs down the flue to the fireplace and hearth.
The solution we use at Hodgsons Chimney Sweeps is the Cre-away pro method dry powder application creosote modifier.
What is the Process and how do we do it?
- Protect the working area, clear furniture and lay sheets, cloths and other protective measures
- Clean The Chimney thoroughly using traditional or rotary methods
- Warm the chimney using an electric heater to prepare the cre away.
- Fill the duster and pump until pressurised.
- Dont forget your personal protective equipment mask especially
- Close access to the room, closing doors and windows
- Using the Duster pump up the flue system in streams using the nozzle. Repeat as necessary.
- It is best to have the heater running through application.
- Check with a torch and mirror to see if there is enough coverage, check the chimney top too if you have safe access.
- Continue to apply product until the entire chimney is coated and you cannot see the creosote through the creaway.
- Clean the site and instruct the customer to use the heater or light the fire for a minimum of 2-4 hours daily from 2-4 weeks.
- 2 -4 weeks later return to the site, resweep the chimney using rotary methods to remove the expanded modified creosote.
- Check condidion of flue if tar is still present go back to 3.
- And repeat the process.
So I’m burning dry wood and not slumbering and my chimney is still Tarring?
This can and does happen. When burning an open fire, or woodburning stove into a large open flue usually made of stone, flue gases condense slowing the rate in which they escape, this cools the flue gases down creating Tar.
In flues such as large Inglenooks and Thatch Properties Hodgsons Chimney Sweeps highly recommends regular Cre-Away Treatments to massively reduce the risk of chimney fire.
It is also common when moving into a thatch property which has had a fire in for many year that the Tarry deposits have never been removed. They must be removed prior to a flue liner or twin wall system being installed.
This is due to Tar being flammable, also, when the Tar heats up it vaporize’s causing Tar smells throughout the property. These Vaporized Tar smells also cause cancer so best to get them out sooner rather than later!
Lastly Tar will drip down the newly lined flue ruining your new stove and Hearth. Hodgsons Chimney Sweeps carry out Cre-away Treatment prior to the installation of stoves in thatch properties.
There are many reasons for Tar to build up in chimneys, we can remove the creosote relatively painlessly.
For a Quote on Cre-away treatment within Devon, Somerset or Cornwall contact us on;